St. George News | StGeorgeNews.com is accepting applications for the following full-time positions on our news team.
- Marketing consultants
- News reporters – breaking news, general assignment, more
Proven experience required. These are not entry-level positions.
About St. George News
St. George News is an online news outlet headquartered in St. George, Utah, with over a quarter million monthly unique users, and a companion site in Cedar City, Cedar City News | CedarCityUtah.com.
St. George News provides comprehensive regional news throughout Southern Utah; northwest Arizona including the Arizona Strip and Colorado City; and southeast Nevada including Mesquite.
We place a priority on community engagement and viewer interaction. Our news product includes breaking news, civic matters, public lands, local-state-federal interface, law enforcement and judicial processes, legislation, education, people, politics, sports and events.
St. George News offers the strongest platform for advertisers seeking to reach the Southern Utah Market electronically with options for onsite banner ads, video products and social media promotion.
1. News reporters
St. George News reporters cover breaking news, enterprise their own stories, take general assignments and do investigative reporting.
Reporters must be able and willing to do the following:
- Develop short-form reports and long-form in-depth reports.
- Deliver professional news writing in AP style.
- Deliver quality reports timely under pressure – accurate, thorough, comprehensive, clear and engaging.
- Be able to work collaboratively, energetically and courteously with reporters, editors, multimedia departments, community, sources and newsmakers.
- Adhere to journalism ethics and standards.
- Provide multimedia enhancements to reports such as photos and videos, both independently and in concert with our videography and graphic communications departments.
- Attend and respond timely to various news lead sources.
- Set up reports on a WordPress platform.
- Utilize social media and electronic sharing platforms.
- Work schedules that vary depending upon story demands, beats and other factors; nights and weekends included.
St. George News provides in-office workspace, cameras, related equipment, studio, videography and graphic communication support; scanner; smartphones in some cases; news cars subject to availability.
Reporters must have their own computers and vehicles; coming equipped with one’s own camera equipment is a plus.
Salaries for reporters begin at $24,000 or higher depending upon experience and skill set. Employees receive salary increases based on merit, including quality and quantity of news writing product, relationship strengths, professionalism, attitude, initiative and creativity.
Benefits include paid time off and employer contribution toward health care insurance.
2. Marketing consultants
Marketing consultants need to bring experience and ability in the following areas:
- Digital ad marketing.
- Customer service.
- Cold calls.
- Responsiveness to leads.
St. George News provides in-office workspace, cameras, related equipment, studio, videography and graphic communication support; news cars subject to availability.
Marketing consultants must have their own computers and vehicles.
Starting compensation for marketing consultants includes a base plus commission, amount and proportion to be determined depending upon experience and skill set.
Applicants, please submit the following application package by email:
Reporters email to: email@example.com
Marketing consultants email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Your resumé including education and work history, areas of expertise and at least three references.
- Samples (reporters only) of your news writing and multimedia work: Include links or copies to published work. Include a description of your part in the production of the items provided (samples showing before and after edit preferred). Portfolio / samples of videography, photography, graphics you have produced or orchestrated.
- Your letter describing to us who you are and what you will bring to St. George News. For example, you might relate to us your areas of expertise and knowledge, special interests, modus operandi, relevant life experiences, what kind of environment you work best in, your professional goals.
Application packages will be reviewed and viable applicants will be contacted for interviews.